. .
Malaysia Hifi Hi-End Audio Equipment Hi-Fi Malaysia Audio Review Forum
Hifi Malaysia Hi-End Audio Equipment Hi-Fi Malaysia Audio Review Forum Hi Fi Systems Home Theatre Home Cinema System  

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Malaysia HiFi . com Forum Index » Digital Source
. Audio Research CD3 MKII Digital Transport CDP Go back
OutdoorXplorer

spacer
Reply with quote View user's profile Send private message
Post Post subject: Audio Research CD3 MKII Digital Transport CDP
NEW INCLUSION TO MY AUDIOPHILE COLLECTION .....

I have traded off my

and replace with Audio Research CD3 MKII Digital Transport CD Player

to complement my

Also got a new 2 tier Acrylic Rack .....
saucywkc

spacer
Reply with quote View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Post Post subject:
Decent rigs you have there, welcome to the ARC club!

May I know the reason behind your choice on an ARC source?

Was it because of musical taste? What improvements do you perceive after the replacement?

Hope to hear more about the player.

Regards,
KC
Alephman

spacer
Post Post subject:
I was very impressed by the Audio Research CD7 Reference player, but the price kinda scared my off.

Saucy,any older players avaible with similar level of performance to recomend for pre-owned purchase?

spacer
Reply with quote View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Post Post subject:
For used CDP, u can get a Sony XA5ES and mod it to no end, or a Meridian 508.24. Other than that, save up and get better ones. Older players DO NOT come close to the new players in terms of resolution and articulation.

For brand new players, I only look at CDP below 20k as anything above is way out of reach for me.

Meridian G08 and Naim CD5X are the 2 I like a lot, Bladelius Freja and Krell SACD Standard are very good also. These are the 4 I have tested.

I might give Ayre CX-7e a try when I am serious in getting a CDP later.

So far, these r the 5 I would seriously consider and can afford.
OutdoorXplorer

spacer
Post Post subject:
saucywkc wrote:
Decent rigs you have there, welcome to the ARC club!

May I know the reason behind your choice on an ARC source?

Was it because of musical taste? What improvements do you perceive after the replacement?

Hope to hear more about the player.

Regards,
KC

While using the latest 24/192-capable Crystal DAC, the CD3 does not upsample, because our empirical research shows sonic compromise is unavoidable due to sample rate manipulation and approximating errors. The engineering focus of the CD3 is to maximize performance with the prevailing music format by keeping the overall player design simple, reliable and optimized for the one task it must accomplish. The Crystal Semiconductor 24/192 DAC was chosen for its resolution and musicality when matched with our fully differential, Class A J-FET analog output stage. Massive regulated power supplies -- using industry-leading capacitors for both bulk supplies and bypass components and damping techniques of a proprietary nature have been used to extend the CD3's remarkable range of performance characteristics.

Musically, the VSi55 is a joy to listen to, with great tonality, resolution and dynamics. There is no bandwidth limiting, and the robust power supply allows music to flow with remarkable dynamic life. The VSi55 is pure, harmonically right, and lets music bloom. Pair the VSi55 with great CD3 MKII CD player and loudspeakers and you can have a compact system which defies expectations and gets to the heart of the music.
skareb

spacer
Post Post subject:
Waaaa....ARC, I dare not even think about buying unless we're talking about 10 years old used kit. I've only done a proper or kinda proper demo at PerfectHIFI, the ARC setup is superb! your discription is familiar kinda bring back the memories...

You shop there?

spacer
Post Post subject:
saucywkc wrote:
For used CDP, u can get a Sony XA5ES and mod it to no end, or a Meridian 508.24. Other than that, save up and get better ones. Older players DO NOT come close to the new players in terms of resolution and articulation.

For brand new players, I only look at CDP below 20k as anything above is way out of reach for me.

Meridian G08 and Naim CD5X are the 2 I like a lot, Bladelius Freja and Krell SACD Standard are very good also. These are the 4 I have tested.

I might give Ayre CX-7e a try when I am serious in getting a CDP later

So far, these r the 5 I would seriously consider and can afford.

Thanks for the input Saucy, the only player in the group you've mention I 've heard is the Naim CD5X which I quite like. So all these are below RM$20K bracket?
The Bladelius looks interesting.

spacer
Post Post subject:
OutdoorXplorer wrote:

While using the latest 24/192-capable Crystal DAC, the CD3 does not upsample, because our empirical research shows sonic compromise is unavoidable due to sample rate manipulation and approximating errors. The engineering focus of the CD3 is to maximize performance with the prevailing music format by keeping the overall player design simple, reliable and optimized for the one task it must accomplish. The Crystal Semiconductor 24/192 DAC was chosen for its resolution and musicality when matched with our fully differential, Class A J-FET analog output stage. Massive regulated power supplies -- using industry-leading capacitors for both bulk supplies and bypass components and damping techniques of a proprietary nature have been used to extend the CD3's remarkable range of performance characteristics.

Musically, the VSi55 is a joy to listen to, with great tonality, resolution and dynamics. There is no bandwidth limiting, and the robust power supply allows music to flow with remarkable dynamic life. The VSi55 is pure, harmonically right, and lets music bloom. Pair the VSi55 with great CD3 MKII CD player and loudspeakers and you can have a compact system which defies expectations and gets to the heart of the music.

Hey, are you para-lifting? I can get the info from arcdb also lar. Rolling Eyes

I was actually asking more about what you think you have gained from changing the CDP. More input is very much appreciated.

Anyway, I am using LS8 + CL60 pre power. Can agree with tonality, resolution and wide bandwidth, but not on dynamics. If you listen carefully, ARC is on the slower side. But not to the extend of typical DIY/cheaper tube gears.

I have used SP9, LS2 and now LS8, so far, LS8 is the fastest among the 3. Still saving up for better ARC pre.

Cheers,
KC
saucywkc

spacer
Post Post subject:
Alephman wrote:
Thanks for the input Saucy, the only player in the group you've mention I 've heard is the Naim CD5X which I quite like. So all these are below RM$20K bracket?

Yes they are all well below 20K. There are good players below 10K also, but buying those is a waste of money as they DO NOT last long sound wise. You'll soon outgrow them.

I would say 20K is the diminishing return point for CDP, after that, you pay hell lot for marginal improvements. However, the effects from those marginal improvements over the sum of the sound is quite staggering. Once you have experienced this stage, you'll squeeze whatever you have from your wallet.

Just a few more months, I promised myself to commit to an upgrade that defy all my previous attempts! A CDP definitely, but dunno which one yet. Shocked
Alephman

spacer
Post Post subject:
saucywkc wrote:
Alephman wrote:

Yes they are all well below 20K. There are good players below 10K also, but buying those is a waste of money as they DO NOT last long sound wise. You'll soon outgrow them.

I would say 20K is the diminishing return point for CDP, after that, you pay hell lot for marginal improvements. However, the effects from those marginal improvements over the sum of the sound is quite staggering. Once you have experienced this stage, you'll squeeze whatever you have from your wallet.

Just a few more months, I promised myself to commit to an upgrade that defy all my previous attempts! A CDP definitely, but dunno which one yet. Shocked

Maybe if I just hold my breath long enough to see your upgrade first? Laughing

spacer
Post Post subject:
Alephman wrote:

Hold also no point as I do not invite people anymore nowadays.
OutdoorXplorer

spacer
Post Post subject:
skareb wrote:
Waaaa....ARC, I dare not even think about buying unless we're talking about 10 years old used kit. I've only done a proper or kinda proper demo at PerfectHIFI, the ARC setup is superb! your discription is familiar kinda bring back the memories...

You shop there?

Yes Bro,,
OutdoorXplorer

spacer
Post Post subject:
saucywkc wrote:
OutdoorXplorer wrote:

Hey, are you para-lifting? I can get the info from arcdb also lar. Rolling Eyes

I was actually asking more about what you think you have gained from changing the CDP. More input is very much appreciated.

Anyway, I am using LS8 + CL60 pre power. Can agree with tonality, resolution and wide bandwidth, but not on dynamics. If you listen carefully, ARC is on the slower side. But not to the extend of typical DIY/cheaper tube gears.

I have used SP9, LS2 and now LS8, so far, LS8 is the fastest among the 3. Still saving up for better ARC pre.

Cheers,
KC

Bro, ARC have quote what I feel on the new setup. I am not as fortunate as you on the higher range. However, the AudioAgile PowerCord does a good job in delivery a 110KM/h instead of Cardas PowerCord that only delivers 80KM/h....
Alephman

spacer
Post Post subject:
saucywkc wrote:
Alephman wrote:

Hold also no point as I do not invite people anymore nowadays.

Just share your upgrade with us. No invitations required.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Malaysia HiFi . com Forum Index » Digital Source All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: