. .
Malaysia Hifi Hi-End Audio Equipment Hi-Fi Malaysia Audio Review Forum
Hifi Malaysia Hi-End Audio Equipment Hi-Fi Malaysia Audio Review Forum Hi Fi Systems Home Theatre Home Cinema System  

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Malaysia HiFi . com Forum Index » Digital Source
. Marantz CD7300 vs Cambridge Audio Azur 640C V2 Go back
sonyman

spacer
Reply with quote View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
Post Post subject:
whats the budget ?

abou 4 K i recond the benchmark dac
Vic

spacer
Reply with quote View user's profile Send private message
Post Post subject:
Monica 2.............non oversampling DAC...........listen to see if it's
your cup of tea. Some ppl swear it makes their music listening to
a new level! NOt my cup of tea, but for those who wants to sample
what's the big fuss about nn-oversamplings as against oversamplings,
this could be a interesting hifi journey or part of your journey. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Other than this, the DCS edgar sounds very nice....but at rm40K,
that's alot of $$$$$! It's like if one drives a Merc......probably might
get nausea sitting in a proton! Surely going gradually from 4X, to multiple times oversampling to 500X o/sampling, one would find the
differences and enjoy every minute of the music listening...and
exploring the non-o/sampling will probably be part of the hifi journey!

The North Star's 400X o/sampling DAC sounded pretty smooth
on first listen, and at a few rmK is reachable for a not so hi-tech
DAC, compared with the DCS. The Technics CDP has always been
overlooked by hifi enthusiasts, the Jap engineers claimed
remarkable o/sampling rate (one paper at least which could be
worked out mathematically to 300X o/s for their top-top of the range studio versions and trickle down to only 1 or 2 top of the line consumer model) does a pretty good job. I've friends sourcing the
studio versions but without much luck.

Note that some CDT goes with their own proprietary DAC, nicely
match for optimum perfromances....so you can't miss the ball park.
Performances you will have to gauge and listen for yourself, as
the sound could be your personal preferences, eventhough others
may tell you what DAC gives you more texture and details, but you
may find it analytical, cold and not musical.

Drop me a private line whenever you are in Kay El, could bring you
around to listen to some exotic DACs and some not so expensive
CDP/CDT plus DAC combi that may/could rock your boat.
Recommendations and really go listen and decide may be different
to some and waste of time for others. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

I'm just an impoverished hifi nut in his 50's who listens to music,
my brand of music that is, and doesn't want to spend too much on
hardware, even though I know for sure it's going to make one hell
of a difference!
skareb

spacer
Post Post subject:
Vic, dont la go recomend RM40K DAC, you should at least have the courtesy of asking bro Eddy to sit on the floor before you open price...hehehehe
Vic

spacer
Post Post subject:
It's good for the experience. Laughing Laughing Laughing Same thing just because
one doesn't own a Merc doens't mean he cannot or won't experience
a ride in his friend's car!

No doubt someone I knew told me this: He doesn't want to go listen
to something he cannot get! Reckoned he doesn't go to hifi shows too! Laughing Laughing Laughing
saucywkc

spacer
Reply with quote View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Post Post subject:
It's Elgar, not Edgar. If you are not using dCS transport/upsampler/clock, forget about using it. You are wasting the hardware.

And it's Elgar Plus now.
skareb

spacer
Post Post subject:
Vic its like me asking you I wanna buy a 4X4 and you taking me to NAZA and showing me the Porsche Cayenne.

Actually I'm the type who hate demoing expensive hifi set I cannot afford. Last Sat I was at Alvins place Perfect HIFI at Wisma HLA. He kept insisting me to try out his Audio Research and Sonus setup. I was really reluctant. whole thing cost around RM250K.

So anyway I tried it and dammit, it was really super, when you close your eyes you really think you're in an unplugged concert, the life-like size soundstage is really breathtaking.

mmmmm...someone once told me if I've stepped into mid-fi I get 80-90% of the sound, boy was he wrong or doesnt know what the hell is hifi. If you're talking of just tone then yes I may agree. But hifi is more than just tone we're chasing.

The soundstage is very important, the dynamic, the timing....and the list goes on.

And the damage...once I got home....was really heart breaking when I turn on my system. Even tho I know the set up was 20X the amount I've paid but still its heart breaking. Well I'm still mourning now.
Vic

spacer
Post Post subject:
Hi KC, thanks for correcting the mistake on the name. Meet you up
at the show, drink perhaps. Must be thinking of my angmo friend called Edgar!

I could also understand why this particular friend doen't want to go
listen to expensive systems.......a case of 'why go listen when cannot get'! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

It must be an 'out of this world' experience to listen to a soundstage
that is not only 3D but sounded realistic! And many are right to
equate such qualities with expensive gears! Can't expect budget
systems to do the same, cannot isn't it?

Once a hifi friend called before coming over to fetch me to go listen
to a mid price system......ok, lah...I said....so there he was at my
place in a sleek black porsche carreras! I was stunned for a couple
of seconds......ok, the porsche was something else compared with
my proton or my other car, the volkwagen beetle......there isn't any to compare anyway! Dofferent folks different strokes, lor!

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
saucywkc

spacer
Reply with quote View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Post Post subject:
I find it the other way round, the more I listen to balanced expensive setups, the more I want to listen to them again.

There are so many things to learn from those setups! When you are confident to say your setup is a mini reflection of those setups, you would buy more and more CDs. There are many traits shared by great setups out there, and I strive to get those qualities, albeit at lesser extend due to setup cost.

I heard the dCS Verdi + Purcell + Elgar Plus a couple of times in a friend's place and I could say it's at the forefront of digital front end. Even red book CDs are upsampled to DSD data for conversion.

I was plagued by impurities in my setup when I got my AQ Cheetah, the cables are so revealing that it shows any weakness in the setup. After much investigation, it was actually one of the plugs in my setup that has gone aged and dark in color.

If you are still able to listen to your own setup after exposures to great setups out there, you know you have achieved something.
Alephman

spacer
Post Post subject:
Hi! guys, just my own experience to share. I used to hate listening to set ups I could not afford, exactly, what's the point? right?

I also once heard a set up costing six figures or more than what my home cost, and it was so..... good, it hurt me real bad, after that session, I could not eat,sleep,work, let alone listen to my own set up, or any other set up for that matter for a whole 2 months!

For the whole 2 months, all I can think about is the brief but magical experience lived, and re-lived over and over again in my mind! Now, how's that for powerfull poison?

But I am a great believer in "what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger!" I know I have grown stronger since that experience. So much so, I now look forward to auditioning real high end set ups, high prices or not. There's always something to learn from auditioning such set ups. Most importantly, what the owner is trying to achieve in sound, music preference and best of all, if you heard something you don't like but not necesarilly wrong, then you start to learn what turns you on or off. It's more of a self discovery journey through other people's hifi experience.

Now that's priceless!

So don't get intimidated by the BIG price tags, if you've the chance to experience high end set ups go for it! Look/hear beyond the price tags, and enjoy the experience.

Now go out and start listening!

spacer
Post Post subject:
Right Alephman! Right KC!

I used to go around with KC to listen to the various setups, mid end
to hi-end. That's some time ago, now he's on his own.....listening to
more hi-end systems!

Now, I go around with Alephman.....as far as even to Klang! Thinking
of visiting the folks in Seremban now! The list goes on and on.......
Any of you guys like to join us 2 some!

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
skareb

spacer
Post Post subject:
In my case it depends on what stage I'm into this hobby, some months I would just cool down and not bother just enjoying the cds. This few months was on the upgrade path and I'm so fussy (maybe finding excuses to upgrade Very Happy ) so like last sat experience with the ARC it hurts a lot.

Hifi is about money, if you want better sound you pay for it, unless you guys have a way around this then PLEASE share Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Unlike other hobbies I'm into e.g fishing, you own a decent rod n reel and the rest depends on your determination and skill and so are cycling, we can built our stamina. But hifi? the more you learn the more you pay.

My wife always pass this remark, whats the point in spending thousands to listen to something you've to pay attention to get the differences? What can we do, we're so hooked and I'm famous for chasing for specifications.

During my cycling times one of my pal whos a true sportsman and he always read books written by sportsman like Lance Armstrong, and me on the other hand reads magazine and Shimano catalogue!
eddylws

spacer
Reply with quote View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Post Post subject:
Hi Guy,

Thanks for all the info, RM 40k it is out of my budget.
my budget is around 4-5k.
Sonyman don't know whether you have try the CEC M71 DAC.

Eddy Lim
sonyman

spacer
Reply with quote View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
Post Post subject:
sory pal, i havent try it on my own. but i have lsiten to a CEC 51TL with the cec M71dac in tong lee's place, didnt audition it, i think it should be about 3K or so,

go find tong lee this weekend, sure ling would be glad to show you one.
eddylws

spacer
Reply with quote View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Post Post subject:
He coded me CEC 51TL and CEC M71 around 9K.
Sonyman are you going this weekend?
sonyman

spacer
Post Post subject:
yup i will be there on sat, which is in a few hours

Laughing cant wait, hopefully it wont disappoint me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Malaysia HiFi . com Forum Index » Digital Source All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: