. .
Malaysia Hifi Hi-End Audio Equipment Hi-Fi Malaysia Audio Review Forum
Hifi Malaysia Hi-End Audio Equipment Hi-Fi Malaysia Audio Review Forum Hi Fi Systems Home Theatre Home Cinema System  

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Malaysia HiFi . com Forum Index » Digital Source
. Marantz CD7300 vs Cambridge Audio Azur 640C V2 Go back
skareb

spacer
Reply with quote View user's profile Send private message
Post Post subject: Marantz CD7300 vs Cambridge Audio Azur 640C V2
It was the time of the year again where I was bitten by the upgrade bug. So after just changing my amp to the Primare I21 I decide the next thing to tinkle was my CDP. I was really undecided between the 2 CDP, and all the review I've read are individually written test. So I decide to do my own review and share the experience with my personal opinion of the 2.

I went to CMY audio store at Sg. Wang Plaza and spoke to John, telling him of my predicament. So he gave me a simple solution, take the 2 home and do your own review! afterall only I myself would know what I wanted. He's the guy who sold me all my hifi stuff and the reason I always ended up there is he's kind enough to offer me home audition.

So he send both the players to my apartment that evening, my first account with the 2, hopeless sound! well I know better than that, so I did the ritual and the usual burn in period (20hrs to be precise).

Next evening I played my first song on the 640C, after so much reading from internet and hifi mag all the hoohaa about this British gem well I was a little bias. First song Vincero Perdero - Lee Lessack And true enough the imaging was superior. The placement of vocals are very forward and instruments appearing atleast 4feet behind. I was immediately taken by its ability and I was leaning towards the Azur. The 7300 still stiff with not much performance so I guess its a late bloomer and I just left it continue playing and continue the rest of the evening enjoying the 640.

Day 3. Opening track Bridge over trouble water - Aretha Franklin, this time I was a bit eager to listen to the 7300. And yes it finally comes alive. The sound is laidback, the presentation is relaxing. If you like your system sounding behind the wall type this is your CDP and mine too. The 640 becoming bright and foward after 48hrs continuos burn in.

Day 4. Taking a chance on Love - Jane Monheit, comparing the both CDP, The Azur will present a very live human vocal right infront directly at the center and the rest of the instrument very distinct few feet behind. You can really pin-point each instrument. Impressive, the vocal have more texture, the treble just nice. The attack is good on faster pace music.

Whereelse the marantz is a total different machine. Its errr how shall I describe it, its a hifi! The vocal and the rest of the instrument is the same not louder, nothing jump on you, still laidback but much sweeter, the attack is just nice, the music sounding full and the bass is fatter.

After 5 days, I decided I'm going for the Marantz, I was surprise myself! Its vocal tone and texture is not as good as the Azur, but its the music presentation that captures my heart. Very relaxing and neutral. It can keep you chasing CDs the whole night.

The Azur tho with its impressive imaging, its faster attack, and realistic texture, sounds like the ideal CDP, but sadly after all the excitement die down, it starts sounding sterile and tiring. If you like listening to sound and staging then maybe this is the CDP for you, if you enjoy music then I would say the Marantz is the way to go.

Please take into consideration the component I mix with the 2, with other component it'll sound and perform differently. And also the music I listen to. I'm more like a Jazz and classical man. But I never knew CDP plays such an important role in HIFI and has so much characters within. I'm no professional audio reviewer I'm just a normal guy who loves hifi.

Component

Amp: Primare I21
Speakers: Audiopro Black Pearl V2
Speaker cable: QED silver Anni Bi
IC: QED Silver spiral
Main: Siltech SPX-20

CDs tested
Lee Lessack - In Good Company
stacey kent - Collection
The very best of Aretha Franklin
Jane Monheit - Taking a chance on Love
Vivaldi The Four season - Anne Sophie Mutter
Bach violin Concertos - Hilary Hahn

Vic

spacer
Post Post subject:
Could we come over for a listen to provide a 2nd or 3rd opinion? Laughing Laughing Laughing Wink
skareb

spacer
Post Post subject:
Vic wrote:

If you are keen to visit treated listening room, then you got to go lepak with some of the other hifi enthusiasts and get to know them first before you get invited to their 'pleasure dome'! Hifi is not just 1 phone call and you get to go to a stranger's place to have a listen! Wink Wink Wink Wink

Remember? ... hehehe just joking, sure I would love to learn more and share my own experience with forumers here.
Vic

spacer
Post Post subject:
Sure I did! That's why have to meet for teh tarik 1st, talk talk 1st,
see if the othe guy nice or not....and not one of those 'pain in the
you know where...' Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Wink

And we just drop a line if we want to meet up.... Cool I'm from Setapak,
anyway....different part of the world, perhaps.

Anyway, I'm of the opinion that the 2 CDPs will sound different again
in another setup......worst still sound different and altogether
unregconisable sonics when tested again in a well dampened room,
or a well treated room. Dampening and treating could be 2 different
thing depending on what's being done! Razz Razz Razz Razz
skareb

spacer
Post Post subject:
I'm staying in Cheras Miharja. Hifi hobby are very personal, everyone with different taste in sonic, but I feel instead of us just reading free reviews online we should also contribute back to the net so that ppl can learn from our first hand experience instead of reading from Mag with bias opinion.
Vic

spacer
Post Post subject:
We could try to relate our hands on and personal experiences, but
the real life situation/ scenario is ppl won't care much of what being
said most of the time! Most only want to read what they want to read, think what they think is right, believe what they think is possible and if it could be correlated to something they know about otherwise very little atention is being paid while reading!

Take room treatment for eg. many won't bother. Some would rather
avoid any form of discussions, and most just 'watch' and what they
know is whatever they have read to date......not everyone would
be interested to go listen and learn something even if given a chance to visit a well treated room....it's always the case of more concern with what equipments being put up and what ancillaries and assessories are being used!
Wink Wink Wink Wink

So is the case of electronic EQing a system to suit the room with
or without much phyical/ non electronic room treatments! Most
won't believe it could be done, some think it could be done to a
limited extent only, some think it's possible and the results are even
far reaching if coupled with suitable room treatments! So
depending on one's knowledge and learning background, the
end result of a discussions may vary! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

By the way I know of a 'uncle' in your area that goes 'hi-end' and
plays real loud! I think he is into his 70's!
skareb

spacer
Post Post subject:
well theres plenty of data on the net and its certainly not for everybody. But the data is there for people who seeks the knowledge.

The ideal is to promote this site and put more content here, and give back what we have taken from the net. If everyone just take without contributing then soon they wont be much to read.
saucywkc

spacer
Reply with quote View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Post Post subject:
Hi Skareb,

The comparison is very much inaccurate due to the way you place them. I see paddings underneath the Azur.

Try to place them properly or make the placement as similar as possible, like one at a time on top of the amp.

Try again to be sure.

Just a suggestion.
skareb

spacer
Post Post subject:
you think by placing them one at a time without padding on top of my amp will make that much of a difference to the extent of altering stereo imaging, musical presentation and sonic texture? naaa, I've just packed them back into the box and returning the set tomorrow, times up for the CDP loan.
Vic

spacer
Post Post subject:
That was fast! Wink Wink Wink Wink

So no party? Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
sonyman

spacer
Reply with quote View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
Post Post subject:
what a waste. i was just reading this and the cdp's are being packed and sent home.

just away for a week and so many things happen. BTW that was not too bad of a review, and i do agree with saucy as it is not as accurate as it is.

though i think u might not have that much time to place one at a time.
just wonder, were u using identical cables or plug them out and plug in again in another cdp ?

also another thing is that , dont the padding changes the imaging ?

Thats odd

since john is quite a nice guy, maybe next time u can get some other things from him then tell us all, so that we can boogie in ur place Laughing
skareb

spacer
Post Post subject:
Vic, for a shop to loan me a 2 CDP for 5 days audition I considered him treating me 1st class. CMY is very good with customer relationship considering my small budget and the service I get in return. B4 I ended up in CMY again, I went to the B&W shop in Midvalley forgot the name of the shop, the sales guy doesn't even look interested with explaining the Arcam CD73 to me. So I just left the shop and head back to CMY.
built

spacer
Post Post subject:
that should be monsoon.

spacer
Post Post subject:
sonyman wrote:
what a waste. i was just reading this and the cdp's are being packed and sent home.

just away for a week and so many things happen. BTW that was not too bad of a review, and i do agree with saucy as it is not as accurate as it is.

though i think u might not have that much time to place one at a time.
just wonder, were u using identical cables or plug them out and plug in again in another cdp ?

also another thing is that , dont the padding changes the imaging ?

Thats odd

since john is quite a nice guy, maybe next time u can get some other things from him then tell us all, so that we can boogie in ur place Laughing

The reason they're being padded is as you notice I do not have dedicated AV rack, so the CDP are stacked on top of the amp. So to avoid over heating issue I raised it for breathing purposed. And I did experiment with all kinda padding or vibrations damping material last time and notice absolutely no difference in performance. Maybe your system and room can make a difference but mine cant unfortunately.

I use 2 input, 1 CD input and 1 line input, using 2 IC, QED Silver spiral and QED qunex2. I switch between the 2 CDP making fair comparison. I also notice the marantz prefers silver and the Azur prefers copper.

I tried my very best to squeezed the extra performance from both the CDPs as I'm planning to buy one of them.

BTW the azur is still in my place, they didnt come collect it, so maybe monday they come for it. If you guys really interested to help me make a difference then we work it out?
eddylws

spacer
Reply with quote View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Post Post subject:
Hello,
I am looking for a DACs, any recommand?

Thanks
Eddy Lim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Malaysia HiFi . com Forum Index » Digital Source All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: