. .
Malaysia Hifi Hi-End Audio Equipment Hi-Fi Malaysia Audio Review Forum
Hifi Malaysia Hi-End Audio Equipment Hi-Fi Malaysia Audio Review Forum Hi Fi Systems Home Theatre Home Cinema System  

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Malaysia HiFi . com Forum Index » Digital Source
. Your take on Naim CD5X Go back
saucywkc

spacer
Reply with quote View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Post Post subject: Your take on Naim CD5X
I guess hi5 might be the right person to answer this.

I am testing a CD5X at home and found some interesting findings. This CDP is not exactly I would term as typical Naim sound.

It is indeed a very capable CDP and would not fail to qualify in the sub 10K (?) league. I find it strage that this player has got no problem in providing good imaging and soundstaging. Something that have been lower in Naim-ist's priority list.

Also, I found that although it's able to give authoritive bass, somehow, it's a bit lightweighted. And the speed is not really expected from Naim as it is well behaved even with dance track.

I will be arranging to add the external power supply to see if there's major improvements. If everything turns out great, I am seriously considering this player.
Alephman

spacer
Reply with quote View user's profile Send private message
Post Post subject:
Saucy,

I've heard this player on a couple of occasions, and it's a really fine cdp. However, I've only heard it in full Naim based systems. Not heard it in an mix & match set up before.

However, I do noticed that it can soundstage a little too forward when playing classical music( this is the only weakness I could hear). But with rock and other live recordings, it's excellent.

So if you're not big fan of the classical works than pretty much all well and good ghoice.

spacer
Reply with quote View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Post Post subject:
Alephman wrote:
Saucy,

I've heard this player on a couple of occasions, and it's a really fine cdp. However, I've only heard it in full Naim based systems. Not heard it in an mix & match set up before.

However, I do noticed that it can soundstage a little too forward when playing classical music( this is the only weakness I could hear). But with rock and other live recordings, it's excellent.

So if you're not big fan of the classical works than pretty much all well and good ghoice.

Called up a Naim sifu and left the player switched on for more than 24 hrs, woke up and listen again.

OMG, things start to blossom and integrate. It's balanced across the frequency with no shout out at any particular range. Excellent textures, emotional conveyance and rich in harmonics.

Forget classical and audiophile CDs, they are not in my diet list. I listen to Taiwan and HK pop, mostly female work. Also a selected few HK/CH female cover singers.

Can I not unplug this CDP?!
Alephman

spacer
Post Post subject:
saucy,

R u running full Naim set up of integrating the CD5x in to your non-Naim existing set up?

spacer
Post Post subject:
Alephman wrote:
saucy,

R u running full Naim set up of integrating the CD5x in to your non-Naim existing set up?

Non Naim setup actually.

Anyway, it's there amongst the 10K players with its own merits, sadly, Meridian G08 would suit me better after a shootout I did this morning.

If you listen pop songs mainly, this player is definitely it! But who would afford a 10K player just to play pop?
Alephman

spacer
Post Post subject:
The Meridian is more laid back or mellow? in comparison to the Naim. For about 10K more oe less, you can also consider the Marantz SA11-S1? According to Ken Ishiwata, think of it as a Marantz CD7 that also plays SACD? Laughing

spacer
Post Post subject:
Alephman wrote:
The Meridian is more laid back or mellow? in comparison to the Naim. For about 10K more oe less, you can also consider the Marantz SA11-S1? According to Ken Ishiwata, think of it as a Marantz CD7 that also plays SACD? Laughing

Meridian is never a laid back player, this only applies to their top end players. I am not too sure of the lower range, only heard the 506.20 in terms of their lower player. And it is laid back.

The Meridian is very communicative and articulate. The Naim sounds like a beat keeper with drums taking center stage all the time. The rythm and beat is second to none, making even audiophile CDs sound like pop CDs.

SA11 is selling less than 9K and forget about SACD player playing CDs. Even CEC TL51XR beats SA15 when it comes to playing CD. And CEC TL51XR is laid back when played in truly hi resolution setup.

Will be getting the Meridian G08 to try at home, then I can gauge whether I will get the Meridian or Naim.
hi5

spacer
Reply with quote View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Post Post subject:
CD5x is very capable CDP (stereophile A) and by adding the power supply (hicap) definitely will bring a major improvement. For me all naim cdp are forward sounding which I like most.

Not only new Naim CDP has the soundstaging & depth, even the new line of pre/power offers the same thing but in believable manner as live performance music. Try to get Ryan Adam - love is hell album and listen to the last track. You'll feel like you're in empty - closing pub about 15m from stage and the band was playing the final song of the night. Rock Corner Bangsar Village has the last US copy.

myself also listen to real music especially an artist which is a singer and song writer as well (genuine) and not to audiophile recording artists who re-recorded popular song in "different" way to get their saliva to be heard, up & down of breathing flow, nasal sound or chesty sound...crap!

cheers

I'm sorry I didn't catch your Naim
Alephman

spacer
Post Post subject:
hi5,

It's great to have finally met you!

Did not realize you dable in to tweaks too! Very Happy

spacer
Reply with quote View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Post Post subject:
Alephman wrote:
hi5,

It's great to have finally met you!

Did not realize you dable in to tweaks too! Very Happy

Hi Alephman,

yeah, me too!

tweaks?....but you're more pro than me. I'd like to listen to your upcoming MC stage project. You know who to call...Smile

cheers mate!

I'm sorry I didn't catch your Naim
Alephman

spacer
Post Post subject:
Will certainly need to lend your critical ears when I tweak the MC phono.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Malaysia HiFi . com Forum Index » Digital Source All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: